Saturday, October 16, 2010

Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap!!

This morning as I was getting ready to take the kids to Tolmachoff Farms for our Moms outing I decided to clear of my SD card in my camera.  I had several months worth of pictures on there so I had to move them over in batches.  I got 75% when right before my eyes all my files were gone, GONE!!  I was missing at least 100 pictures from our trip to Colorado Springs, including pictures with Santa, pictures of my kids playing with their cousins and our trail hike in New Mexico.  I was frantic!  I started searching every folder in my picture file hoping that I had somehow accidentaly moved them to another file.  Much to my dismay I realized they were gone.  I was devestated to say the least.  Then I thought to myself, I know you can recover lost data from a hard drive so why not an HD card?  All files leave a residual image on the hard drive/memory, which is why so often on cop shows you see the 'CSI' team recovering seemingly deleted photo's, videos and other incriminating evidence.  

So I Googled, "undelete sd card software free" (cuz you know I'm always looking for a bargain!) So the first software I tried was a generic program called Undelete SD Card.  It found my files but it wouldn't let me save them.  So I though huh, I bet I have to buy the software.  So I clicked on the purchase tab and the license was  $49.95!  No way, there had to be a better software out there.  So I tried again.  This time I found a program called DiskDigger. 

I downloaded the software with mixed enthusiasm.  Much to my surprise not only did the software find all my missing files, it let me save them to harddrive, FREE!!  However each time a file is saved you have to go through a licensing screen.  Understandable, working in the SAS business myself I understand that software doesn't write itself.  So feeling both grateful for the working software that saved my precious pictures and wanting to get rid of the annoying license screen I clicked on the Purchase link.  I nearly fell off my chair when this clearly superior software was only asking for $14.99!!  $ 14.99 PEOPLE!!  Remember the other company with the hokey software wanted $49.95!  SOLD!  I paid for my software and with in a minute there was an e-mail in my inbox with my registration code.  Plugged the code in to the licensing window and voila!  All my pictures have been FULLY RECOVERED!!  I am so happy if I had a tail it would be wagging. I know that I will be able to use this software over again.

Now, this doesn't just work for SD cards, here is some info straight from their site:

"DiskDigger is a program that undeletes and recovers lost files from your hard drive, memory cards, USB flash drives — you name it! Whether you accidentally deleted some documents or photos from your computer, reformatted your camera's memory card, or want to see what files are lurking on an old USB drive, DiskDigger is here for you."

So my friends, here is a screen shot of the DiskDigger program at work. 


On the left is a long list of files discovered on my SD card.  All told, 362 pictures recovered!!!

I'm telling you friends, this software is fantastic.  I can't stop smiling knowing that this adorable picture of my kids with Santa was saved. Thank you DiskDigger, I could kiss you!!!

If you are interested in checking out their software here's the handy link:  http://diskdigger.org/

1 comment: