Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Project Pantry


No dear friends, this is not a food shelter, this is my pantry.  Overflowing with food.  I'm afraid to show you my freezer!  In fact just yesterday I had throw out a pound of shrimp that was freezer burnt!  Looking at all this has brought me to one unavoidable conclusion, I need to eat.  Not just in general but I need to eat what I have.  Granted many of the items in here are foods that go with other foods, such as salad dressing or bbq sauce.  However there are lots of other items in here; rice, pasta, risotto, etc...  And like many people I look in my pantry and say to myself "Uh, there's nothing to eat!"  Oh, the shame!

As I browsed through my Samaritans Purse catalog looking at buying a chicken for a village for $14 I could not help but feel disgusted and ashamed at how much food I have.  Here's these kids, all over the world, who are happy just to have a hot rice meal and this is my pantry. 

So I resolved to eat what I have, and be thankful for it.  Through out this week I will be making a concentrated effort to eat only what I currently have on hand.  If that means I have to practice portion control to avoid over eating a high calorie dish (Hello Hamburger Helper!) then that is what I will do.  The only exception I am making to this resolution is fresh fruit and vegetables.  Otherwise I have a fridge full of protiens, a pantry full of sides and accompaning ingredients, and no more excuses. 

Last night was day one of the Pantry Project.  So for dinner we had some Saffron Yellow rice with butterflied, grilled brats and sauted red bell peppers and onions.  It was delish!  (Sorry, no picture, it didn't last long enough).

Tonights menu: Chicken Enchiladas.  I am pretty sure I have everything I need. Stay tuned for pictures and results. 

Does your pantry look like mine?  Are you willing to take the challenge?


Want to win a free one year subscription to Martha Stewarts Everyday Food Magazine?  Enter a comment below and at the end of Project Pantry one winner will be selected to receive a free subscription.

3 comments:

  1. It's so organized! Mine, not so much. If the door shuts, I'm good.

    I will try to do thisas well. I need more goals in my life anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina - long time. It's not as organized as it looks. It's pretty crammed LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hun, trust me, a football helmet is required to open the door. lol

    ReplyDelete